Once a Sabercat, Always a Sabercat

Once a Sabercat, Always a Sabercat

Resepct. Integrity. Determination. Gratitude. Excellence

Health Information

Fossil Ridge Health Technician

Sara Smith  - 970-488-6305 /sasmith@psdschools.org 

Other Health Resources as Needed:

Sarah Johnson /sajohnson@psdschools.org 


Our primary role is to support student learning by acting as an advocate and liaison between the home, the school, and the medical community regarding concerns that are likely to affect a student’s ability to learn.  

 We are advocates for students, families, school staff, and the community. We facilitate positive responses to normal development, promote health and safety, and intervene with actual and potential health problems.  


 School Health Services uses various methods to support our students here at Fossil Ridge High School 

  • Acute and Emergency Care 
  • Care coordination   
  • Chronic Disease Management  
  • Family Engagement

Authorization to Administer Medicine:

Requiring medication at school must have the written directions and/or school medication form completed by the family physician. This will identify the type of medication, the dosage, the purpose of the medication, and direct the school nurse or the health technician to administer the medication as to the time at which the medication shall be administered according to the physicians’ order, and the length of time for which the medication is prescribed as well as possible side effects. It must be sent in the original bottle with the name of the pharmacy and the medication written on it, along with a note from the parent giving permission to give the medication

Colorado law requires all students attending Colorado schools and licensed childcare to be vaccinated against certain diseases unless they have a certificate of medical or nonmedical exemption on file. You must file a certificate of exemption at each school, or childcare the student attends. To protect unvaccinated children, students with an exemption from one or more required vaccines may be kept out of a school or childcare during a disease outbreak.

Beginning in the 2021-2022 school year, the process of filing a nonmedical exemption will change. There will be two ways to file a nonmedical exemption.  Be sure to check with your student’s school or child care to find out if it needs a copy of the certificate of nonmedical exemption. 

  • File the certificate of nonmedical exemption WITH a signature from an immunizing provider, OR
  • File the certificate of nonmedical exemption received upon the completion of our online education module.
  • Parents of students in grades K-12 claiming a nonmedical exemption must file one annually. Nonmedical exemptions expire June 30 each year. If you submit a nonmedical exemption on or before June 30, it will not be valid for the upcoming school year unless you signed the exemption during early registration.

PSD does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, veteran status, age or disability in access or admission to, or treatment or employment in, its programs or activities. A lack of English speaking skills will not be a barrier to admission or participation.